Saturday, October 27, 2007

Productivity.


After I uploaded this I realised that I should've made this a LAAAAARRGE photo. The afghan (look, the afghan!) would look far more impressive. I've been knitting feverishly, and according to the pattern I'm a quarter of the way there. Yes, gentle readers, I've done four rows of squares. With very few mistakes, considering I've been knitting in front of the tv and blogs on the computer screen. But here's the thing.... how come in all of the knitting blogs I've wandered through, the people start a major project and then five minutes later post a picture saying "oh look. I've finished. And by the way, here's some shots of the forty-seven hats and scarves I completed while I was doing this major project. Just so I didn't get bored." How do they do it??? Do they have an extra pair of arms, so they can casually keep knitting while they're cooking dinner or driving to music lessons or working in the garden? Are they insomniacs, knitting quietly away in the dead of night by the dim glow of a night light? I wish I knew their secret. They're making me feel very inadequate.




Speaking of works in progress, look at this life sized portrait of a cauliflower I grew. I'm so excited. I bought a punnet each of cauliflower and brussels sprouts plants, and bunged them in at the end of winter. It was supposed to be too late to get anything from them, but I thought I'd do an experiment and just see. I was planning to pull them up this weekend, but when I was watering on Wednesday I saw two golf-ball sized caulies. I squealed and jumped for joy. Brennan came out (he's the other cauliflower and brussels sprouts lover in the family), and he said that he found them a couple of days ago, but decided not to tell me because he didn't want to spoil the surprise. What a sweetie. So we squealed and jumped up and down together. Nothing's happening with the brussels sprouts as far as I can tell, so they're living on borrowed time.


After lunch I'm popping on a sunhat and planting the seedlings I bought last weekend. They've been sitting in the laundry trough all week. Heaps of tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchinis and lettuce. Mum noticed two of the tomato plants were optimistically putting out flowers, blissfully unaware of the bee-less state of the great indoors, so before school yesterday I raced out and put them next to the pigface so they could live it up. Yummy little yellow cherry tomatoes.

6 comments:

lightening said...

WOW - your afghan is going soooo well.... I can't believe how much you've done.

My mum is one of *those* knitters. She knits at the speed of light!!!! One of the reasons I was so resistant to taking up knitting myself I guess....

Well done on the cauliflower. I've heard they're hard to grow... so I've not attempted them yet.

My tomatoes had little flowers just after I planted them but I nipped them off...was worried the plant would put it's energy into fruiting rather than growing. *shrugs* I have no idea what I'm doing....just making it up as I go along.

Anonymous said...

Your afghan is looking great! I'm the same as you with knitting, slow and steady, but my Mum is like Lightening's too. We joke that she even knits in her sleep as we catch her nodding off at times but the needles still keep going. I knitted one beanie last winter and so far this year I've managed a couple of knitted dishcloths. How do you go when the weather gets hotter? I find its just too sticky to knit then.
I, too, marvel at some of the knitting blogs. Maybe they have a big output because they don't do anything else but knit, no outside the house fulltime jobs?

Scott said...

Don't worry about the photo size Frogger - if you click on it the photo opens in another window at the original upload size. BTW your pics seem quite large - are they taking a long time to upload? Also how is your memory storage going? You might want to downsize your uploads using a photo editor first. Also - isn't there some kind of knitting machine you can buy that whizzes out scarves and jumpers in minutes? I guess that's cheating though.

this said...

The afghan is looking good!
Tomatoes are self-pollinating so they don't care about the bees : ) .

S said...

If I viewed cauliflower with anything less than repulsion, I'm quite sure I'd appreciate that picture. Heh.

(Thanks for your visit the other day.)

Frogdancer said...

Slouching Mom....
I'm sure that all of that cauliflower cheese your mum made you eat during childhood can't have been that bad....
It would've been more horrible for the cauliflower than it was for you, if you think about it.

Scott....
huh? What's a photo editor? We might need to talk.

Blueblue....
here was I thinking that I was doing the tomatoes a favour by putting them outside so they could have a little fun. Instead I probably gave them performance anxiety by putting them out in public. Oh well.

Briget...
I love the thought of knitting while sitting under the air duct in the roof, (Evaporative air con), but my hands get sticky. Yuck. That's why I want to get at least half of the afghan done before Christmas.

Lightening....
I'm learning about the veggie patch too. Potato plants are my big bugbear at the moment.... I've planted 2 big beds of them and I have to bury them. I'll need a truckload of compost. GGGrrr!